A well balanced diet goes a long way in helping women reduce cellulite. Cellulite deposition is mainly due to abnormal utilization and deposition of fats which occurs due to genetic and acquired factors. Obese women are more prone to cellulite formation, though lean women are not spared. Hence the significance of acquired factors like improper diet, lack of physical activity etc which in turn leads to accumulation of fluid , toxins and waste products in the body and the deposition of cellulite.
Changes in the diet and in all the lifestyle is a sure shot way of not only reducing cellulite but also preventing further formation of cellulite and adding to the general well being of the individual.
What does a balanced diet consist of?
A balanced diet contains adequate proportions of protein, carbohydrates, fats and other micronutrients like vitamins and minerals.
Diet for cellulite removal
• Cellulite is formed due to retention of fluid, waste products and toxins generated from the metabolic processes in the body.
• The diet must be a detoxifying diet containing high amounts of fiber, proteins complex carbohydrates.
• The content of trans and saturated fatty acids must be minimal. In contrast the food must be rich in omega fatty acids and essential fatty acids like linolenic acid and linolenic acid. Nuts, fish oils, lean meat and essential oils like evening primrose oil supplement the desired fats in the diet. Avoid junk and fried foods which contain bad cholesterol.
• A high percentage of the food eaten must be in the form of fresh raw fruits and vegetables as well as brown rice, seeds and bean sprouts which adds fiber and good quality proteins to the diet.
• Rather than having 3 full meals a day, have 5 to 6 small meals each day consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables. This will avoid hunger and thereby remove the desire to eat refined and processed foods.
• Herbs are plants of medicinal value. They help in the process of detoxification of the body. Some herbs like dandelion enhance the livers ability to break down waste products and toxins. It also aids the kidneys to filter blood of these waste products and toxins. Dandelion leaves can be added to salads or cooked like spinach. A cup of dandelion tea each day containing 50 Gms of fresh dandelion leaves to half a liter of water.
• Drink plenty of water and fruit juices every day. This helps the kidney to flush out the blood of all the harmful and toxic waste products formed in the body.
• A squeeze of lemon and one teaspoonful of honey to a cup of water taken every day on an empty stomach is a simple home remedy to prevent cellulite formation
• Avoid the use of caffeinated drinks and alcoholic beverages.
A healthy diet coupled with physical activity in the form of cardiovascular exercises like jogging, cycling, running etc and targeted weight training is one of the most effective and long lasting ways of fighting cellulite.